How to Choose the Right Sized Throw Pillows
Nothing can bring a room to life like the right throw pillows…
Whether you’re putting the final touches on your space or refreshing a vignette to switch things up, throw pillows are one of the simplest ways to bring personality, pattern, and dimension to a design.
After years of creating pillow combinations for our client projects and our Netflix show “Dream Home Makeover,” we’ve learned that curating the perfect throw pillow look all starts with choosing the right size.
If you’re thinking about refreshing or adding to your throw pillow look, check out our guidelines and examples below.
For tips on throw pillow combinations, check out our post here.
Throw pillow size guide:
As a general rule of thumb for throw pillow sizing, start with the largest-sized pillows in the back of a sofa or bed, and build a triangle with smaller pillows from there. Typically, 2″ size increments work best for layering pillow combinations.
Here are a few of our go-to examples:
Throw pillow sizing on a chair:
- Single lumbar
- Single 20-22 inch
From our Beckham Project
From our Pine Brook Project
Throw pillow sizing on a sofa, nook, or bench:
- 22-24 inch pillow at the back, layer a smaller pillow 20-22 inches in the front
- 24-22 inch pillow at the back (in the corner), layer in a lumbar
From our PC Contemporary Project
Throw pillow sizing on a sectional:
- 22-24 inch and a 20-22 inch on the sides
- 22-24 inch, 20-22 inch, and a lumbar in the corner.
From our AZ Homestead Project
Find more tips on how to style pillows on a sectional here.
Throw pillow sizing on a twin bed:
- One single lumbar
- 22 inch in the back, 1 lumbar in front
From our Cove Remodel
Throw pillow sizing on a king or queen bed:
- 24″-26″ pillows + Extra long lumbar
- Large lumbar or headboard pillow
- 2 x 24″-26″ and a 20″-22″ pillow and a lumbar
From our Rye NY Project
Throw pillow favorites
Psst.. don’t forget to pin our guide below for future reference!